Unit 10 – Brief 2: Authentic Visual Identity – Project Development / Production

It is the end of the first week of easter holidays and I haven’t really got as much done as I had hoped for. I’ve found that production is much harder than the design part. Trying to find people who came make things for you or where to buy the materials is really time consuming.

For this project I was told to experiment some more with the shape, and I did but it just did not work. So I just made edit to the typography. I really liked the angles on the interstate typeface so I used the angle of the logo within the type. I edited the ascenders only. It is a really subtle change but at lest it makes the type seem a bit more personal.

I then went on to design some posters, however I felt that they were just illustrations rather than of any use. I then used the pattern I already had as a letterhead back page. I tried to incorporate the type within the white out, but it felt like it was floating, not really anchored to any position plus it was impossible to keep the text consistent across all pages. I used the text and logo on the other side of the page, but once again the shape changes therefore making it hard to keep the layout consistent. I removed the shape as the back page was bold enough to show which university it was.

After finalising the layout my super friend Becky, basically told me that the pattern wasn’t good enough, and she was right, the triangles looked bad at large scale. They weren’t aligned, there were gaps all over the place. I know they were a bit dodge but thought “that will do”, but as Becky brought to my attention, this is a third year final portfolio project, “that will do” is not the right mentality to have, so I spent the rest of my day making the pattern better. I am happy that I did make it better, as there is no point rushing the work. I will only have 5 projects in my portfolio so I might as well do them well. Its harder with this project as there is pretty much multiples of 6 for everything. Tote bags, Security cards, Badges, Sketchbooks, Letterheads.

The security cards I will probably have to do again, as I sent them to print with the dodge pattern, so if I did it well the first time I wouldn’t have to revisit the work as well as pay out for it again. Anyway its all coming together, but I am limited on what I can complete as to screen print the bags and sketchbooks I need to be able to get into byamshaw. First week of term is going to be hectic!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: